Day 49 - the Spirit empowers us to boldly make disciples
In your own words ask God to help you hear and understand what He’s saying through His Word, and give thanks for the Holy Spirit that is empowering you to walk with Him after this devotional is done. Then read these verses (out loud if you are able).
Luke 12:8-12 (NLT)
8 “I tell you the truth, everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, the Son of Man will also acknowledge in the presence of God’s angels. 9 But anyone who denies me here on earth will be denied before God’s angels. 10 Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. 11 “And when you are brought to trial in the synagogues and before rulers and authorities, don’t worry about how to defend yourself or what to say, 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what needs to be said.”
There are some deep theological conversations and thoughts that can come from studying this passage, and although that is not the purpose of our time here this morning, please pursue understanding and conversation with other believers as the Spirit leads you. For this devotional time, though, we will make a few simple observations.
- Acknowledging Jesus in front of other people matters to Him.
- What happens today on the earth impacts heavenly things in ways we don’t even understand. There is more connection there then we probably even realize.
- For those that acknowledge Jesus publicly, how amazing is it to think that Jesus also acknowledges us in front of angels?!
- If we make our love for Jesus known to others there is a good chance that we will be criticized, persecuted or called to defend ourselves for it, possibly by those with power and authority over us.
- We don’t have to worry if that should happen.
- The Holy Spirit will teach us in the moment what needs to be said if that should happen.
I love how active and involved the Spirit is in these types of moments, teaching us what to say when the pressure is on. I also love the grace Jesus gives us to be ourselves. I don’t have to perfectly plan out what I’m going to say or have all the answers. I just get to share out what I know to be true of Jesus and trust that the Spirit of God is going to help me know what to say in the moment. The One with all wisdom will help me speak what needs to be said!
The Holy Spirit empowers us to declare Jesus to the world, and we are not alone in this beautiful work of making Jesus known to others. God goes with us and is for us.
What are you known for by those you have relationship or influence with? Do they know you love and follow Jesus? Have you ever experienced the Holy Spirit helping you know what to say in the moment when talking to someone about Jesus?
Thank the Spirit for His power and help when telling others about Jesus. Ask Jesus if there is any place or to any person He wants you to make your love for Him known and clear to others and then pray for opportunity and courage to do so. Pray that the gospel would go forward there and that Jesus would soften hearts to the truth of who He is.